Happy September! I can’t decide if I’m happy or sad that the year seems to be flying by.
I was tagged by the wonderful Liz to do this tag – sorry it took me so long…! Anyway, I hope you all enjoy it!
1. What are your nicknames? What do you prefer to be called?
Nikki is technically a nickname, but it’s always been what my parents called me. I went by Nicole (my full name) at work for a while but I’ve given up on that too haha.
2. How often do you doodle? What do your doodles look like?
I am not a massive doodler. I can craft, but I’m not otherwise arty at all!
3. What do you do if you can’t sleep at night? Do you count sheep? Toss and turn? Try to get up and do something productive?
I have an awful habit of playing on my phone! If I’m tired but can’t turn off my brain, I tend to put on an audiobook to distract myself, but as I know I will fall asleep I always choose one I’ve listened to before. That works quite well, and is less frustrating if it doesn’t work.
4. Do people consider you to be talkative or quiet?
Ha, I suspect talkative. It can depend on who I’m with, but I’m not the quietest.
5. What makes you cry?
Oh so much. Books, TV, when I get annoyed or passionate about something… My eyes water really easily too. Super fun.
6. What is your biggest pet peeve?
This depends on the day, my highest occurence of stabbing threats tend to be against people who listen to music / take video calls / watch a movie on public transport and don’t use headphones.
7. How many times a day do you look at yourself in the mirror?
Honestly barely ever. loos at work (as mirror above sink), when cleaning teeth etc.
8. What is the strangest thing you believed as a child?
Oh gosh, I have no idea!
9. What is the guilty pleasure you enjoy too much to give up?
Definitely trashy dance movies, I love them. I have a large collection of them, and they are all glorious.
10. Who performs the most random acts of kindness out of everyone you know?
Most of my friends are generous and lovely! Kindness comes in many forms, and I think all the community I interact with display it regularly.
11. How often do you read the newspaper? Which sections?
I honestly don’t. If I need to read the news (which honestly I try to avoid) I go online.
12. Which animal scares you the most?
Snakes, I guess. I’m not scared, but they are creepy slithery things. The creepy bodied spider currently above my sofa (I’m too ill to be bothered to move it lol). Then from a practical perspective large creatures that could actually kill me haha. But luckily not many of those in the UK.
13. Are you more likely to avoid conflict or engage with it?
Hahaha. It really depends. I am fiercely loyal and protective, so on behalf of a friend I get more likely to engage. On my own behalf I suspect I’m less so. I’m also not great with conflict and reacting as it happens.
14. What is the most recent compliment you’ve received?
The best one I can think of recently is my friend Rachel who, on visiting my house, said it was very me. I have spent time making my house a home, and I was completely flattered that I had succeeded. I can’t think of the actual most recent compliment haha.
15. What question are you tired of hearing?
I don’t think I get too many repetitive ones to be honest. Liz had about if she was dating anyone, which I do get and is annoying, but honestly most of my family know better 😉
16. What is the strangest thing you have eaten?
I’m so fussy with food I am struggling to think of anything odd! haha. I love food, and eating and ironically I do like to try new things. I just get put off by the huge list of things I don’t like lol. So I love street food because I can try little things without spending loads.
17. Do you have a whole lot of acquaintances or just a few very close friends?
I think I would say I have a decent number of close friends. I have four main groups and we all talk regularly, one is like 15 people (bookish crew shoutout! love you nerds).
18. Do you have a catchphrase?
Oh god, you’d have to ask my friends. Probably “to be fair” – I am awful at trying to justify things, even if they don’t deserve it.
19. What’s your all-time favourite town or city? Why?
This is so hard! Probably the entire of Vancouver Island is my favourite place I could think of. It’s so pretty and the people are laid back, and there is excellent sea kayaking.
In the UK, I grew up in Poole, Dorset, and that will always be my favourite. There’s a place called Evening Hill which has the most amazing view over the harbour and gets fantastic sunsets. I miss that view. And the sea! I live too far from the sea now.
20. If you had to change your first name, what would you change it to?
I wouldn’t! I can’t imagine not being Nikki.
21. When was the last time you lied?
A proper lie? No idea. Probably when I promised my chirpodist I would do the exercises she gave me…. 😀
22. What’s something that amazes you?
Everything. I try to remain amazed by the world at large. I can be a cynic, and I have to remember that nature is amazing. Space, the ocean, animals… Beautiful. And humans can suck, but they can also be amazing – creative and passionate and surviving always.
23. Would you rather be the first person to explore a planet or be the inventor of a drug that cures a deadly disease?
Anything else and I would say planet – I am an astronomy nerd and that would be cool. But curing a disease just impacts so many, so definitely that! I’m nowhere near smart enough for that though!
24. What is your favourite amateur activity?
Ballroom and Latin dancing 😀
25. What was your first thought when you got up this morning?
WTF cold, piss off. I couldn’t sleep for ages and STILL woke up super early. Grr. I couldn’t breathe or stop coughing. Grumpy.
26. What is your favourite song (at least at the moment)?
Ooh right now, not sure. Current all time favourite is Phoenix by Fall Out Boy, and anything by them, REM, Foo Fighters and Jimmy Eat World.
27. List someone you know and describe them in five words.
28. You can select one person from history and have them truthfully answer one question. Who would you select and what would the question be?
This is so hard! I’d love to talk to someone like Amelia Earhart to see what drove her.
29. Which celebrity or artist do you resemble the most?
ooh no idea.
30. What do you want me to know?
If you want to know anything, you should just ask! I try to be super friendly, and I love talking to people 😀
That’s it! I hope you enjoyed! Let me know if you pick this up, I’d love to read your answers.